Merino Is Different Than Traditional Wool
- Merino is buttery SOFT. It is not coarse or scratchy.
- Merino is the gold standard in terms of athletic performance apparel – noted for its breathability, warmth and comfort.
Our wool is sustainably sourced from sheep raised by certified non-mulesed woolgrowers in Australia, the largest producer of Merino wool in the world.
- Wool is an entirely natural, renewable and biodegradable fiber.
Our baselayers are 100% ultra-fine Merino wool. Nothing else.
More Merino Fun Facts
- The complicated structure of Merino wool regulates body temperature by absorbing and wicking moisture away from the skin. The fibers trap air to insulate more efficiently.
- This natural “climate control” means Ridge baselayers insulate when it’s cold and let heat escape when temperatures rise.
- Merino is antimicrobial, which means it resists the growth of bacteria that cause offensive body odor – so you won’t stink!
- Merino offers natural sun protection - it has a UPF 20+ rating.
- Wool is the least flammable of any type of fabric, so it won't melt or stick to your skin if you get a little too close to the flame.
- It is naturally static-free.
- Because Merino wool regulates body temperature and heart rate too, it actually improves sleep.
- It is machine washable and can be dried on a line or on the "low" dryer setting (either way it dries quickly).
- All this occurs naturally, without the use of chemicals.
We’re going back to basics. Clean, simple, comfortable apparel without the use of harmful chemicals.
Next: Our Commitment to the Environment